Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Can Pinterest Help You Make Healthier Choices?

I've been reading some interesting articles lately that say following certain boards and accounts on Pinterest can actually help you make healthier food choices in your life.

Photo Courtesy Of:
http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2012/06/01/
can-pinterest-make-you-healthier/
Pinterest can be used for many reasons, and you can create and follow a wide variety of boards. One of the popular ways people use Pinterest is to search for delicious and mouth watering recipes. It is a lot more enjoyable and visually appealing than getting an old recipe from those stacks of recipe cards that you've had sitting around forever. According to the article "Can Pinterest Help You Make Healthier Choices?" from Syracuse University's School of Information Studies Website, "It is said that 'we eat with our eyes as well as our taste buds and tummies', so when a healthy fare is visually appealing, it can help you get excited about eating well and saying on track." Whether you know it or not, Pinterest might be having an effect on what you choose to make for dinner! 

Nutritious eating is not the only aspect of a healthy lifestyle that Pinterest can positively impact. There are many boards to follow that give great workout ideas and can inspire you to exercise more frequently. In addition, read the article ""How Pinterest Can Help You Lose Weight" to find out how just laughing at some of the pins found on Pinterest can help increase your wellness.

I love using Pinterest to help me find healthy recipes to make or new workouts to try. I even have my own boards for "Healthy Recipes," "Healthier Desserts," and "Health and Fitness Ideas." Feel free to check them out! Of course, I have not made every single recipe on my boards, but here are some I have tried that I would definitely recommend. All photos came from the linked sites below the photos. The links also contain the recipes!

"Warm Pasta Salad With Shrimp"

"Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich"

"Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip" 


"Cranberry and Avocado Salad"

"Five-Minute (Healthy) Chunky Monkey Ice Cream"


If you're looking for some healthy food boards to follow, I personally follow "The Healthy Foodie" and have really enjoyed all of her boards. Check out the articles "25 Healthy Pinterest Boards to Follow" and "10 Awesome Healthy Food Boards You Should Be Following On Pinterest!" for other ideas!

I hope this has inspired you to start using Pinterest to look for healthy food options! If you don't have Pinterest, I hope it has inspired you to get an account! Remember, there are also plenty of unhealthy options floating around out there on Pinterest, so be sure to follow the right boards! :)

9 comments:

  1. great post! I always learn so much from your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love Pinterest! I usually see a lot of unhealthy food pins, but you have given me some good advice on where to look. I can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah Pinterest definitely does have plenty of unhealthy options as well. I'm glad you want to check out some of the healthy boards! It can get addicting!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE pinterest. I actually used pinterest as a source for my blog this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post because i did not realize how easy it was to find good and healthy recipes. I also like the different ones you said we could follow because i am always looking for new and healthy recipes. Can't wait till your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really use Pinterest...but may have to start doing so. Not only for the healthier recipes but the work outs...I'm always looking for a new and productive work out! Great post as I was able to learn something new...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you should! :) Pinterest is great for all sorts of things! I bet you could find some great idea for your dance class too!

      Delete