Saturday, October 27, 2012

10 Foods That Help Boost Your Metabolism!

Everyone has a metabolism that works at a different rate. Metabolic rate is often determined by genetics, but there are actually certain foods that will give your metabolism an extra boost which can help regulate your digestive system and allow you to burn fat faster.

Photo Courtesy Of:
http://gimmesomeoven.com
1. Spinach: It not only speeds up your metabolic rate, but is also full of important nutrients and minerals your body needs.

2. Water: DRINK A LOT! Drinking water helps to speed up weight loss and remove toxins from your body.

3. Grapefruit: It is a great source for Vitamin C, but also reduces insulin, which helps boost your body's metabolism.

4. Blueberries: These are full of antioxidants that help increase metabolic rate. 

5. Broccoli: Broccoli contains high amounts of Vitamin C and Calcium, which work together to help increase your metabolism. It is also full of Vitamin A, folate, and fiber. 

Photo Courtesy Of: http://www.mslimalicious.com
/2012/01/green-tea-can-help-you-lose-weight.html
6. Green Tea: It contains an antioxidant called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which speeds up the nervous system function and causes your metabolic rate to increase.

7. Lean Meats and Proteins: These can include turkey, beef, chicken and poultry. When you consume lean meats, you burn calories during digestion because it takes a lot of energy to break them down in your body.

8. Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a high-fiber food which requires a lot of energy to break down. Like with lean meats, this means your burn calories during the process, which in turn raises your metabolic rate. Oatmeal also has other heath benefits, including lowering levels of cholesterol and reducing chances for heart disease.

9. Almonds: They are high in calories, but they are also full of fiber and fatty acids that help boost your metabolism.

Photo Courtesy Of: http://www.webmd.com
/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism
10. Hot Peppers: Capsacin, a chemical found many hot peppers such as jalapenos and cayenne pepper, helps to speed up your metabolic rate.

This list was generated with information from two articles: 
"10 Foods That Boost Your Metabolism" from IngredientsInc.net
For more detailed information, read the full articles!

I like coming up with ways to increase my intake of these foods. One great way to do that is to make eating spinach salads a habit! I try to eat spinach everyday, and often include broccoli and blueberries along with other fruits and veggies. If drinking water gets boring, try naturally flavored water or vitamin water! Also, maybe try oatmeal for breakfast sometimes! As you read in my earlier post, that is my usual morning meal. There are many ways to increase the amount of metabolism boosting foods in your diet! Have fun coming up with your own creative ideas and recipes! 

If you're interested in learning about more ways to increase your metabolism, the article "10 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism" from WebMD gives great advice!

3 comments:

  1. These sound great! I like all of these except for hot peppers. It's funny that we both like to eat spinach salads. I just want to let you know that my post might be late because it is my podcast, and podbean is not working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kara these all sound good except the hot peppers. I especially am thrilled to see oatmeal on here!! I love oatmeal and eat it quite often at night. Since I own and operate my own dance studio I usually don't get home until 9:30-10pm at night...which first I don't really want to cook and second I don't want to eat heavy. So oatmeal is often my dinner. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Eating dinner that late at night would be very different for me, but oatmeal is a great option! I eat it for breakfast every morning. :)

      Delete