Sunday, September 16, 2012

Go Ahead, Indulge in Peanut Butter!


Photo Courtesy Of: 
http://thesweettreat.wordpress.com/ 
I am addicted to peanut butter. My room is stocked with several jars and I usually can’t go more than two days without eating some. Lucky for me, peanut butter is packed with nutrients and is actually very healthy for you.  However, some kinds are healthier than others and it is important to know what to look for. In this post, I want to share with you the many benefits of peanut butter, how to shop for it, and a few of my favorite peanut butter recipes. :)
                                              
According to an article published on the Harvard Health website, studies have shown that those who eat peanut butter or nuts on a frequent basis have a smaller chance of developing heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who don’t.  Peanut butter is also full of protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial nutrients! For more information read the entire article,

Many people tend to think that peanut butter is unhealthy for you. Some of the main reasons for this include…

     1. It contains saturated fats.                                                                                                           
  • This is true. However, that does not automatically make it unhealthy for you. It is important to look at the ratio of saturated fats to unsaturated fats. Peanut butter contains a much larger amount of healthy unsaturated fats. If you’re interested in learning more about the difference between these two kinds of fats, read the article "Understanding Fats."                                                                       

2. It contains sodium.
  • It does have sodium, but it also provides us with a greater amount of potassium, which actually counters the harmful effects of sodium. The Harvard Health article provides more information on this.

3. It contains hydrogenated oils.
  • ONLY SOME peanut butter does! Hydrogenated oils contain trans fatty acids that contribute to heart disease, cancer, and other health problems. It is very possible to find and purchase peanut butter that contains absolutely zero hydrogenated oils.


When shopping for peanut butter, if you’re looking for the healthiest option, it is best to go natural. Natural peanut butter contains no hydrogenated oils, trans-fat, or added sugars. It also has less unhealthy saturated fats.

My favorite kind is “Smucker’s Natural Creamy Peanut Butter.” I ALWAYS have a jar of it around. There are many other brands to choose from if you don’t enjoy Smucker’s.

I would like to share three of my favorite “peanut butter” recipes.  First, I want to point out that although peanut butter is healthy, it is a high-calorie food. It contains about 200 calories per serving (2 tablespoons), so it is important to watch how much you eat. That’s the hardest part for me. I am always careful not to eat too much. 

 
I’m sure you have all tried a peanut butter and banana sandwich at some point in your life. I eat them all the time. However, I have recently started to add strawberries as well. It is absolutely delicious. I recommend trying it out!

This particular recipe includes…
2 Slices 100% Whole Wheat Bread
2 Tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter
½ Medium Banana
2 Sliced Strawberries



This next recipe is one that I love to drink before my morning workouts. It’s packed full of fiber and protein. This recipe is small since I only made one serving for myself. It includes…

½ Medium Banana
½ Cup Cooked Oatmeal
1 Tablespoon  Natural Peanut Butter
¼ Cup Skim Milk
6 Large Ice Cubes
Blend on high until smooth.

You can do a lot to mix this recipe up! Sometimes I add strawberries, or include vanilla yogurt instead of milk if I want a thicker texture. Feel free to try your own thing!





Here is a link to a great recipe for a "healthy" Peanut Butter Pie for those days you feel like indulging in something a little sweeter without going overboard. It only has 300 calories per serving! :) The picture is from when I made it several months ago. It might be about the most amazing thing I have ever tasted. 



I know this post was a bit long, but I hope you all enjoyed it, learned something new, and will think about trying out some of these recipes! :)

6 comments:

  1. You made me hungry by reading this post! The recipes look so good and I'm really interesting in learning how to make the peanut butter cake for my dad. He loves peanut butter. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I was worried that none of you would like peanut butter. Ha-ha. I definitely recommend making the pie for your dad. It is so good!

      Delete
  2. Oh I LOVE peanut butter!!! I really enjoyed this post. I am going to the store tonight to get the ingredients for this pie as soon as I get off work tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you love peanut butter too! I really have an addiction problem. I don't know if you have Pinterest, but if you're interested I have a whole board dedicated to peanut butter recipes. You should check it out if you want. :) I hope to try them all at some point, but that probably won't happen.
      http://pinterest.com/emilyjuhnke/peanut-butter/

      Delete
  3. Peanut butter is great!!! I have always loved it and sometimes get a craving to eat just a little on a spoon...lol. I liked all the information you had in this blog and liked the way it was set up. I will be sure to look for natural peanut butter and may have to try some of the recipes you posted above :)

    ReplyDelete