Thursday, September 6, 2012

Does Eating at Night Really Cause Weight Gain?

At some point you have probably either heard or read that eating at night will cause weight gain. I used to believe that and I've known numerous people that refuse to eat after 7 p.m. in the evening because they are positive that they will gain weight as a result. 

The truth is, this is just a myth. 

It's not when you eat that matters, but what you eat and how many calories you consume throughout the day. The article, "Is Eating Late at Night Bad For Your Health?" states that long as you make healthy food choices and don't go over your recommended calorie intake, eating at night is really just fine. 

"Eating at night becomes more of a problem if you overeat or choose foods that are high in calories, fat, sodium, or sugar." The article actually suggests that consuming a "carbohydrate-rich" snack might help you sleep better at night. For more information, read the full article by clicking the title above.

If you are interested in learning more but would rather watch a video instead of read an article, check out this short YouTube video.



For me, it can be hard not to overeat in the evenings. Sometimes all I want is a big bowl of ice cream while I watch my favorite show on TV. I have to stop and remind myself that it's really not worth it. Of course, you can't be perfect all the time. I occasionally do indulge in something unhealthy. But most of the time I decide on a healthier option, such as an apple with peanut butter. That has recently become my favorite evening snack. 

I hope this post has helped you finally learn the truth behind the myth of late-night snacking! 




8 comments:

  1. Hey Emily! I really enjoyed the topic of your post. There are so many ideas about how people gain weight that I'm glad you made a post about this myth. I always find it hard not to snack at night and I usually go for popcorn. I'm glad to know that as long as I don't go over my calorie limit for the day I won't be gaining weight! By the way, I love apples with peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I agree, it is very hard not to snack at night. Peanut butter is kind of my addiction, so I try to find healthy ways to include it in my diet. :) Popcorn is a great option too! I have a feeling we'll be getting a lot of greats idea from each other's blogs!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  3. Emily,
    I can tell that I'm going to enjoy continuing to read your blog. I like the topic and as a dance teacher I'm always reminding myself to eat healthy in addition to exercise. Thanks for clearing up the myth about eating at night being bad for you. I don't get off work until 9pm every week night and I always worried about eating late. But after reading your latest post I will just be sure to substitute a yogurt for my hostess cake..lol! I found the facts and information in this post very interesting and look forward to more in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! :) I'm happy to hear that you think you'll enjoy reading it, and I'm glad to clear up the myth for you! I'll try my best to keep it interesting!

      Delete
  4. As a runner, I am ALWAYS trying to eat healthier. I am super excited for your blog. I hope to get some good tips to help with my runner's diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate! Hopefully I'll have some posts coming up that can help you out! I love running as well, by the way. :)

      Delete